Motivate Your Employees By Answering These 5 Questions

Many of the daily problems leaders and managers deal with are caused by their own poor management practices. State of the American Workplace a well-known report from the Gallup Organization (see my previous article  “Profit Leak 2 — Is Poor leadership Holding Your Company Back?” ), revealed that only 30% of all workers could be referred to as “Engaged Employees.” More importantly, the survey uncovered that poor leadership is the main cause for the other 70% to be “not engaged” or “actively disengaged.”

Motivating “Non Engaged” Employees

There are steps you can take to move a large portion of your employees out of the “not engaged” and “actively disengaged” categories without spending a lot of money. All you need to do is help your employees answer the following five questions:

  1. Why am I here?
  2. What is expected of me?
  3. How am I doing?
  4. What is in it for me?
  5. Where do I go for help?

Increase Motivation & Employee Engagement

You are probably looking at these questions and saying, “We have already done this.” However sad it is to say, most leaders are in denial and have done a very poor job of answering these questions for their employees. If you were to survey your employees, stating each question and then asking them on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 strongly agree) how well you have satisfied their need to answer that question, you would be alarmed by how few 9s and 10s you receive. By taking steps to clarify the answers to these questions, you will increase motivation and employee engagement.

Call Howard Shore for a FREE consultation at 305.722.7213 and let’s schedule a time to discuss your business and how a business coach might improve your business.