Companies whose market share is growing have fanatical discipline about their people. You know a company has fanatical discipline when they have the following in place:
- A clear understanding of how many people it takes to achieve their strategy.
- An organizational chart that maps out those positions critical to their strategy.
- Detailed job profiles for each position that identify the results expected from the position, the characteristics of the ideal person, and what the key success factors are.
- Annual updates of job profiles.
- A process of screening candidates that allows only qualified candidates to get to the interviewing stage.
- Training in the latest techniques in interviewing for every person in the organization that is involved in interviewing to greatly minimize the opportunity to hire a wrong person.
- An interview and background check process that is so good that there is a full development plan, training and coaching process ready for the new hire as soon as they come on board.
- A phenomenal 90-day ramp-up process that helps every new hire to assimilate in the organization, learn what they need to do, learn how the company does things, and to start their development process.
- A culture in which people do not stand around and chat because they always know what and how much they have to do and are self-compelled to get it done.
- A staffing plan that evaluates where there will be position growth and potential need for replacement.
- A process for building a ready bench of “A Players” to meet your staffing plan as the needs arise so you are ahead of the curve on recruitment and hiring.
- A method to systematically eliminate “B” and “C” Players in a timely fashion.
When you have those steps in place you are in a position to maximize growth and margin, and minimize cost. A weakness in any area is an opportunity for improvement in one or all three of those areas.
Howard Shore is a business growth expert that works with companies and people that want to maximize their growth potential by improving strategy, enhancing their knowledge, and improving motivation. To learn more about him or his firm please contact Howard Shore at (305) 722-7213 or [email protected] .